I am a late adapter to a lot of modern technology and personally relatively new to Skype and Skype for Business over the last few years.
Thought I would share a few tips that I have learned along the way to help one prepare for a Skype business call and/or interview.
• Always make sure your technology is working in advance especially if you conducting your Skype meeting at home.
• Select a background that is not distracting. While my background isn’t ideal, it is the spot I work in while home. Always remember to check what and who may be behind you when deciding on a location.
• Turn off your TV and/or radio and find a quiet space that you can be alone without the distraction of others, your children and/or furry friends.
• Charge your technology fully and have power cords easily accessible in case your battery power begins to drain.
• If you are on a Skype conference call and/or meeting, make sure to be on mute unless you are speaking.
• Be prepared to be seen on Skype. I prefer Face to Face Skype interaction on one to one and smaller Skype meetings.
• Always dress head to toe as you never know if an interviewer might ask you to stand up. I have also heard many stories where someone accidentally stands up and are not fully dressed on the bottom. Always err on the side of caution.
• Good idea to test the lighting of your space and a trial run for Skype too.
• I am pretty pale without makeup so I always need to wear it and a pop of colour on a Skype meeting so I don’t look completely washed out. A colourful scarf provides the perfect pop of colour for me and is especially helpful if I am dressed in a cardigan, short-sleeved top and leggings as I am likely will be when working at home.
• My most important tip is to always be prepared for everything and anything.